Onward and Upward: Congratulations to Starbucks Adam Brotman!
We are excited to inform our CDO Community that Adam Brotman will be leaving Starbucks after nine years to join J.Crew as President and Chief Experience Officer, reporting to new CEO Jim Brett.
Brotman joined Starbucks as Chief Digital Officer in April 2009, where he helped digitally transform the Seattle coffee giant, and made the company a leader in mobile payments.
In 2014, his team launched Starbucks’ popular “mobile order and pay” smartphone feature, which now accounts for 11% of total transactions at Starbucks-owned stores. His team also developed the payment feature inside the Starbucks mobile app. According to Starbucks, last year 30% of in-store transactions were completed via mobile payments.
In May of 2014, Brotman was appointed to Neiman Marcus Group’s Board of Directors, which put him into the CDO Club "Hall of Fame."
The CDO Club Hall of Fame features more than 100 CDOs who have became CEO/President or Board Director/Non-Executive Director since 2011.
With this new appointment as President of J.Crew, Brotman earns a spot in the CDO Club Hall of Fame for a second time!
J.Crew was wise to appoint Mr. Brotman as President:
As pointed out in McKinsey's December 2017 report, Why digital transformation is now on the CEO’s shoulders, "digital transformation is everywhere on the agendas of corporate boards and has risen to the top of CEOs’ strategic plans. What I’m seeing now is that, almost invariably, global corporate transformations are initiated and propelled by the CEO.
The threat is existential. For boards, if this isn’t on your agenda, then you’ve got the wrong agenda. If your CEO isn’t talking about how to ensure the survival of the enterprise amid digital disruption, well, maybe you’ve got the wrong person in the job. This may sound extreme, but it’s not."
In 2015, in recognition of his many accomplishments, the CDO Club named Brotman U.S. Chief Digital Officer of the Year .
Congratulations Adam! We can’t wait to see what you have in store for J.Crew.
Welcome back to our Chief Data Officer JOBS Update, through January 2018.
In this month’s issue, we listed new Chief DATA Officer appointments for January; we tracked over 40 articles and hand-picked more than TWENTY-TWO CDOs who made the news last month; and be sure to check out all the new open CDO positions on our CDO Career page.
Clearly, these are exciting times to be a leader in building a data-driven culture!
- New Chief Data Officer placements (through January 2018): Congratulations to the new Chief Data Officers at AXIS Capital; BCA Marketplace plc; Datavant; DB Networks; FreightWaves; and J.D. Power, among others. Welcome to the CDO Club!
- Chief Data Officers ‘In the News’: We tracked over 40 ARTICLES and hand-picked more than TWENTY-TWO Chief Data Officers who made news in January, including Callcredit Information Group’s Mark Davison; City Of San Diego’s Maksim Pecherskiy; IQSS at Harvard University’s Mercè Crosas; Plated’s Haftan Eckholdt; SPR Consulting’s Ray Johnson; Transport for London’s Lauren Sager Weinstein; and Verve.ai’s Dalia Asterbadi; among others. How did they make the news? Find out inside.
- Open Chief Data Officer Jobs: Inside, you’ll find open posts for Chief Digital Officers, Chief Data Officers, and other C-level digital and data positions. Be sure to review the open posts on our dedicated career page.
You’ll find the details on all this and much more inside
Registered CDO Club members get full access to job postings.
Membership options and registration can be found here.
Featured London Speakers:
Featured New York City Speakers:
Featured San Francisco Speakers:
Join Us in London (our 3rd year) and in NYC (our 6th year):
2018: More cities!
- London, England: March 28, 2018 (our 3rd year), presented by CDOGPS
- New York, NY: April 25, 2018 (our 6th year), presented by CDOGPS
- San Francisco: June 27, 2018, presented by CDOGPS
- Tel Aviv, Israel: September 2018 (our 3rd year, via CDO Club IL)
- Sydney Australia: TBD Q4, 2018 (our 3rd year), presented by CDOGPS
- MORE: We are also considering CDO Summits in Madrid, Singapore, Mumbai, and Berlin in the second half of 2018. Contact us for more information.